I focus on helping students navigate the college application process with more ease, purpose & joy about all that is ahead for them. There are many wonderful institutions of higher learning in the US and for every student there is more than one terrific college. I help students create options for themselves by working to develop a sound college wish list, research and analyze options, and submit applications, including strong essays. It is most important to me that students feel confident they have created an application package, including testing and writing components, that best highlights their strengths and leads to choices for their future. I provide guidance, suggestions, methods, critique and support, but the work is the student’s.
I have been working in the Bellevue International School Counseling Office for 6 years. International School has a highly regarded College Planning program for juniors and seniors. It is one of the reasons the school receives 700+ applications for 85 spots each year. I have one child currently in college and two college graduates. Between the three of them, they applied to 25 schools, including transfer applications. I know first-hand what the application process is like for a parent.
- Counseling assistant at International School in Bellevue for 6years
- Worked with 420+ students from junior year through successful high school graduation, college acceptance and attendance.
- Meet with at least 60 college admission reps each year who visit our campus. I attend many of their information sessions each year, including an update regarding their programs, trends, and what they are looking for in students.
- Co-presenter for College Information nights for families
- Traveled to and attended over 28 college campus tours and information sessions.
- Read and edited at least 400 + college essays, including some through 5 and 6 revisions.
- Co-direct International School four-day College Boot Camp each August. 99% of our rising seniors attend Boot Camp. (“Boot Camp” is a workshop for seniors to begin their college applications, with a heavy emphasis on planning and writing college essays.)
- Celebrated many, many college acceptances and financial aid/merit awards, and helped students mourn and move on from rejections too.
- Conduct informal interviews of 15-20 current college freshmen about their college experiences each year.
- 19-year career as systems analyst and banking technology project manager
- BA, Economics. University of Puget Sound